Search This Blog

Friday, January 5, 2018

Past Tense - Part I


Everybody wants to know about their past life and some people want to forget their past. Hope you understood what I'm talking about. Yes, we're now gonna discuss about past tense.

  Past tense is nothing but describes the things that happened in the past. Based on how and when the things happened in the past, we divide the past tense into 4 categories:

1. Simple Past
2. Past Continuous
3. Past Perfect
4. Past Perfect Continuous

  From now on, we will discuss both active voice and passive voice of each tense and their usage.

1. Simple Past: 

                   This tense can be used for the things that happened in the past and past habits(used to).

Formula: 
                   Active Voice: subject+ v2+ object
                   Passive Voice: object+was/were+v3+by+sub

To make you clear, I'll give you the passive subjects for all kind of subjects that we use.

I                        = me
We                    = us
You                   = you
He                     = him
She                    = her
They                 = them
It                       = it
Name or thing  = no change


Ex: They played cricket yesterday. ==> Cricket was played by them yesterday.
       I met you 2 days ago. ==> You were met by me 2 days ago.
       She loved me. ==> I was loved by her.
       I used to drive bicycle. ==> Bicycle was used to be driven by me.
       He used to sing many songs in the room. ==> Many songs were used to be sung by him in the room.
       She used to do business. ==> Business was used to be done by her.


2. Past Continuous:
                   This tense can be used for the things that were running in the past. You will understand better with the formula and the examples below:

Formula: 
                 Active Voice: sub+was/were+v1+ing+obj
                Passive Voice: obj+was/were+being+v3+by+sub

Ex: I was doing job 3 months ago. ==> Job was being done by me 3 months ago.
       We were playing cricket yesterday at this time. ==> Cricket was being played by us yesterday at this time.
       People were talking about you. ==> You were being talked by people.
       I was writing a blog yesterday at 8 pm. ==> A blog was being written by me yesterday at 8 pm.

We'll discuss the rest 2 tenses in my next blog. Share your comments about the blog in comments field. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment